Monday, April 6, 2009

Glorious Sleep

Until recently we had been fighting a battle of wills nearly every night at bedtime. To add to that, my once peaceful sleeping baby had gone back to waking up at night. Sometimes deciding it was playtime...at 3 in the morning. I don't think so!

I know I added to the problem by bringing Logan into bed with us when he would wake up, or sleeping with him where ever we could get sleep. This lack of sleep was starting to wear on me. I mean come on, there is no reason a 13 month old baby should not be sleeping through the night, unless he is sick. It was time for an intervention.

I was ready to try the cry it out method...Adam not so much. So we kind of compromised. I decided I would put him in his crib to go to sleep, but stay in there with him so he wouldn't feel abandoned. Well, the first night didn't go so well. I sat right by his crib and tried to sing to him...but he cried regardless for about 30 minutes. Then, he finally gave in. I was a little discouraged but determined to make it work. So we tried again the next night. I told Logan it was time for bed. He cried all the way to his room, but once in his crib he was fine. We read some stories, then he went to sleep.

We have been following our new routine for about a month now, and minus a few bumps along the way, it is working great. He sleeps through the night now. Sometimes he will still wake up and fuss a little, but he usually goes back to sleep on his own. At bedtime he will walk willingly to his room and lift up his arms to get in his crib. I do have to stay in there with him until he falls asleep, but it doesn't take long...and we enjoy our story time.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Sleep issues can be exhausting! Literally! So glad to hear you are getting into a good bedtime routine. Sounds like it's working.